1952 – Pastor J. Marion Rhoden was appointed by the South Carolina Synod, United Lutheran Church in America, to develop a congregation on Sullivan’s Island.
1953 – St. Mark’s is organized with fifty charter members; the Reverend Dr. Karl W Kinard, president of the Synod presiding. The congregation receives the old Fort Moultrie Chapel (formerly the Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal) as its place of worship.
1959 – An Allen Organ is purchased with gifts from members and friends.
1972 – The Synod and congregation, after much discussion, decides to move the Church to the Isle of Palms. The Synod buys the old church and sells it as private residence. The congregation worships in the Exchange club on the Isle of Palms.
1975 – The new facilities are dedicated on Easter Sunday.
1986 – A bequest of $28,000 from the estate of Freida Hand and $1,000 from the Mueller estate are gratefully received.
1987 – The Reverend Otto Carl Peterson Memorial Playground is dedicated and a new church sign is erected.
1988 – The old Allen Organ, purchased in1959, is replaced with a Rodgers Concord 775 in time to celebrate the 35th Anniversary Celebration.
1989 – Hurricane Hugo causes major devastation to the Islands and St. Mark’s.
1990 – renovations to St. Mark’s are complete and the sanctuary is rededicated.
2000 – Mortgage is paid in full.
2015 – Proctor Family Memorial Garden and Columbarium are dedicated